Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Unconscious Bias


After some discussions and tutorials i decided that feminism wasn't the right topic for me, as I couldn't see what I could with it or were to start. So I made the decision to look back at my research along with the map mind, which is were I decided to take a look at streams of consciousness. This then lead me to a blog were I was introduced to this TED Talk video by Yassmin Abdel-Magied on the 'unconscious bias' 

"Unconscious bias is not the same as conscious discrimination. I'm not saying that in all of you, there's a secret sexist or racist or ageist lurking within, waiting to get out. That's not what I'm saying. We all have our biases. They're the filters through which we see the world around us. I'm not accusing anyone, bias is not an accusation. Rather, it's something that has to be identified, acknowledged and mitigated against. Bias can be about race, it can be about gender. It can also be about class, education, disability. The fact is, we all have biases against what's different, what's different to our social norms." - (01:51)

I found the idea that we can all have bias towards people without evening knowing quite intriguing. It makes me begin to wonder how this unconscious bias has effected my decisions throughout the years and what would happened if I chose differently. It also makes me think what are my bias? what are my social norms? 

In this video I also found this example of our unconscious bias quite interesting as it has quite a surprising reaction which uncovers our assumptions on gender roles: "Let me give you an example. A son and his father are in a horrible car accident. The father dies on impactand the son, who's severely injured, is rushed to hospital. The surgeon looks at the son when they arrive and is like, "I can't operate." Why? "The boy is my son." How can that be? Ladies and gentlemen, the surgeon is his mother. Now hands up -- and it's okay -- but hands up if you initially assumed the surgeon was a guy?" - (04:02) So could my project be about stories were we mis-interpretate the situation or person.

No comments:

Post a Comment