Tuesday, 9 February 2016

Alighiero Boetti

My first source of inspiration in exploring the topic of Arte Povera was conceptual artist Alighiero Boetti. Who was one of the most important and influential Italian artists of the twemtieth century. He was a key member of the Arte Povera group of young Italian artists in the late 1960s which was working in radically new ways, using simple materials."His modest choice of materials became a benchmark for arte povera artists and took art from its elitest pedestal." From 1963, Boetti began to use materials in his work which had, until then, never been associated with fine art. His work engaged with the changing geopolitical situation of his time, much  of it made on his travels to places such as Ethiopia, Guatemala and Afghanistan. He is most famous for a series of embroidered maps of the world, Mappa, created between 1971 and his death in 1994. 


TateShots: Alighiero E Boetti

"For me, the embroidered Map couldn’t be more beautiful. I did nothing for this work, chose nothing myself, in the sense that the world is shaped as it is, I did not draw it; the flags are what they are, I did not design them. In short I created absolutely nothing. When a fundamental idea, the concept, emerges, there is no need to decide on anything else." - Alighiero Boetti


TateShots: Francesco Clemente on Alighiero Boetti






No comments:

Post a Comment